Monday, October 27, 2008

Why I Like Sports ... Tailgating

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to attend the Eagles-Falcons game in Philly. The day was a perfect convergence of everything I like about tailgating. First, there was a little panic to start the day as my friend who brought the keg to the parking lot arrived to find out that the tap was broken. Unfortunately, my buddies around where I live were either still asleep at 9:45 a.m. or didn’t have a tap of their own that I could borrow, so things weren’t off to a great start. I had faith in my friend that he had reserves. And if that didn’t work, my roommate had two bottles of champagne and some O.J. for mimosas that I could steal.

When we arrived at the Linc, sure enough there were three cases of Lion’s Head in the truck to hold us over until the tap arrived. I know three cases as an appetizer sounds like a lot, but you have to understand my friends. First, one of the guys is a legit 6-10 and can more than handle his beer. Also, we had about 10 or so people coming by at different points throughout the day. And finally, the tailgate started at 9:30 a.m. and was going straight through the Phillies game that night. We were going to need that keg sooner or later.

Anyways, here are my top five favorite reasons why I like tailgating…

1 .Drinking in the morning. There isn’t much better in the world than cracking a beer before noon. My dad, brother, uncle and I go to NASCAR races from time to time, and the best part of the day, for me at least, is the three or so hours before the race that we have beers in the parking lot while watching the other fans with their flags and shirts and sometimes mullets. Whether it’s a football game, baseball game or car race, the event is just better if you are five or six or 13 bud lights deep before it starts. On a day like yesterday, where it was 65 degrees out and sunny, an ice cold beer tastes all that much better.

2. Greasy Food. Yesterday was a great combination of food. Since we started so early, breakfast was first on the agenda. We cooked up some bacon and a vat of eggs on the grill to start things off. Thrown in a little cheese and some hamburger buns, and bammo! you got a delicious bacon, egg and cheese to commence the feast. Other favorite foods at the tailgates my family throws are pulled pork and quite possibly the greatest combination of food stuffs I have ever seen – the Cheddarwurst. Whoever came up with the idea to stuff cheese inside a hot dog deserves a statue. Seriously, they kick ass. Ever since my dad introduced them to me, it is all I can do to not eat them every day. Then again, if I did that, I would look like John Kruk and no one wants that.

3. Games. These can range from drinking games to games of skill or somewhere in between. My favorite is cornhole. That is what we were playing yesterday. I was pretty horrible, but my teammate kicked ass for her first time playing. Ironically, I think she got better the more mimosas she drank. Other possible activities include washers and some new game where people throw golf balls on strings at some sort of contraption. I have no clue what it is called, but plenty of people were doing that yesterday. If games of skill aren’t your cup of tea, there are also drinking games that people enjoy. The number one is beirut or beer pong. Everyone loves beer pong. Yesterday, there were ping pong balls all over the place. Then there is flip cup. This is a game I am actually good at so I enjoy playing it. I would choose it over beer pong any time. Outside is tough though when you factor in the wind. If there was ever a game that should be played in a dome, it is flip cup.

4. People Watching. This may have been the best part of the Jimmy Buffet concert I went to this summer. The absolute mass of humanity that filled the parking lots around Citizen’s Bank Ballpark was something I had never seen before, and I have been to some pretty intense crowds at Notre Dame Stadium, Daytona International Raceway and other places. But the 60,000+ people who were there that day were having the time of their lives. Everyone was decked out in tropical clothing, wearing bathing suits, drinking Coronas and dancing along to whatever was on the iPod. The people in the space next to us filled the bed of their truck up with water, turning it into a makeshift pool for the afternoon. It was ridiculous. I loved every minute of it. NASCAR races are also great people watching. Watching people who have set up their RV for a week of hard living is always a good time. I am not making any judgments, but there are always some interesting fashion and style statements being made at those races. I have had my moments of glory too, so I am not complaining. I usually feature some stupid facial hair when I hit up the races, and my brother usually has the grosses goatee you have ever seen so we definitely fit in with the crowd. It’s just fun to watch 100,000 people get wasted and wear silly clothing. Doesn’t matter what game it is, as long as those two things are happening.

5. Post Game Debauchery. My final favorite thing about tailgating is the fact that you can do it after the game as well. In fact, sometimes you need to do it since there is so much traffic leaving the arena/stadium/track/whatever. Of course, there probably isn’t a need for your 18th beer or fifth hamburger of the day, but you have an hour or two to kill so what the heck, right? This is especially fun if your team wins. The crowd is happy and celebrating, high fives are being thrown around like dollars by Pacman Jones. On the flip side, there is nothing worse than a forced postgame tailgate when your team loses. Six years ago, my college buddies and I went to Notre Dame to see the Irish play BC. The game was great, BC upset then-No. 2 Notre Dame and I was happy because I got to cross off Notre Dame Stadium from my list of places to watch a game. The only problem was the whole student body fell into a depression since their national title hopes went down the drain. So there we were, four Georgetown students in South Bend looking to have some fun and get after it a little. The only problem was that no students wanted to party. The older fans, though, still had to wait out the traffic so they all stood around, helpless and lost. It was sad. But they had no choice. It was either that or sit in traffic for at least two hours. Anyways, the point is that postgame debauchery is better when your team wins. That was yesterday after the Eagles game. People were loving life, the Birds had just won a game they probably shouldn’t have and the Phillies were a few hours away from playing an important Game Four in the World Series. There was no reason why these fans shouldn’t have been as happy as they were. I was just glad to be a little part in Philly’s day of glory.

And I have my chance for another awesome tailgate today as I head over to Citizens Bank Park for Game Five of the World Series. This city is ready to explode and there is a good chance I may explode with it. I am not going to write much about the game since I don’t want to jinx it, but let’s just say I am pumped to be there tonight to hopefully watch history and I am very excited for my new friends from Philadelphia that have been waiting for a title for most of, if not all, of their lives. I have been lucky the past seven years and I am happy for these faithful and diehard fans that may have the chance to celebrate tonight or in the next few days.


Wish me luck and safety.

No comments: