Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Why I Like Sports ... Introductions

Welcome to my blog, "Why I Like Sports" where each post will will focus on something in the sports world that I really like. I know the title is pretty obvious, but hopefully there will be plenty going on the sports world that gets my attention and is interesting to me. Everyone knows about the big events - the Super Bowl, the Olympics, etc., but there is so much inside those events that is worthy of our attention. I will try and focus on those things here.

Tonight, the title of the blog is "Introductions". There is kind of a double meaning to this as I plan to introduce myself and talk about one of my favorite aspects of the World Series, and playoff baseball in general, the pregame introductions.

I grew up in Boston, went to college in Washington, D.C. at Georgetown and currently live in Philadelphia. I am a die-hard Boston Bruins, Boston Red Sox, New England Patriots and Georgetown Hoyas fan. I can't really say I am a Celtics fan, but I enjoyed their title run. Truth is, I was never good at hoops so I had no interest in the team growing up.

That being said, let's move on to the meat of the article. The pregame introductions in Major League Baseball's playoffs. Unlike the regular season where the starting lineups are read while various players are stretching or running or playing catch, before the opening game in each park (games 1 and 3), the entire team takes to its respective baseline to be intorduced to the fans.

For some, this is as much recognition as they will receive all year. For instance, where else does the assistant trainer or the clubhouse attendant have the chance to stand in front of 40,000 or so people and wave? I was at the Red Sox-Angels game 3 in Boston a few weeks ago, and completely forgot that they were going to introduce both teams. So as I heard the PA announcer welcome the entire Anglels contingent to the third baseline, I got goosebumps. I was actually going to see live my favorite part of the All-Star game as well as the commencement of any playoff series. The way I see it is this. If there are pregame intros of the players, it is a big game.

So I stood and watched as the Angels were intoduced one-by-one and then the starting lineup. Then it was time for the Olde Town Team. Every single member of the Red Sox' playoff party took the field. From Daisuke's translator to Gil Velazquez, the utility callup from Pawtucket in the last week of the season. They all got to tip their cap and hear some clapping from the crowd. Some received more cheers than others. Jon Lester heard a roar of approval while David Ross, the third catcher, had more of a "Who is this guy? Eh, he's a Red Sox player so we love him." reaction.

When they started introducing the starters for the Sox, the cheers were some of the loudest I had heard at Fenway. Dustin Pedroia heard 39,000+ chant "M-V-P". Then it was "Pa-pi" and "Youuuuuuk". Even Jason Varitek, the struggling catcher was sernaded with a standing ovation.

Speaking of Varitek, do you think the home catcher and pitcher are upset that they don't get to run out of the dugout and tip their cap? They are always in the bullpen warming up. I understand they have a set routine, but they have to feel left out, right?

The pregame intros have produced to of my favorite moments at Fenway Park. One was when Byung-Hyun Kim flipped off the Fenway Faithful after blowing a few games on the road in the playoffs. Needless to say, that did not endear him to the crowd and he never saw the light of day the rest of the playoffs.

The second was much more light-hearted and caused me to gain even more respect for one of the best pitchers this game has ever seen. It was Opening Day 2005 (I know that isn't the playoffs, but Opening Day counts). The Sox were playing the Yankees, whom they defeated in the ALCS in the memorable comeback in '04 and had opened the season with in NYC. Mariano Rivera had been lit up recently by the Sox. First by Bill Mueller in the regular season game where 'tek and A'Rod fought. Then in the ALCS and even in the opening series of '05. So when it came time to introduce Rivera, the Fenway crowd cheered as loud as they could ever possibly consider doing for a Yankee. Rivera, always a class act, doffed his hat and saluted the crowd, a smile never leaving his face. Whereas some players would have ignored it and had no reaction , Rivera saw the humor and even respect in the salute and ate it up. I know a lot of Red Sox fans who have an affinity for Rivera because of that gesture.

My final thought, one that came to me on my walk home from work tonight, is what if we made a change to how the pregame intros are done? Right now, just the managers shake hands when they meet at home plate. What if we made the starters shake hands with the other team when they were introduced? There is precedent for this. In collegiate wrestling, both teams line up opposite each other. When the respective weights are announced, both wrestlers go to the center of the mat and shake hands. Nothing flashy, but its respectful.

How fun would it have been to watch Mike Piazza and Roger Clemens shake hands during the Subway Series? Or this season, in the ALCS if Coco Crisp and "Big Game(really?)" James Shields had to bump fists after throwing them at each other in the regular season? I am in favor of anything that adds drama to games. I think that certainly will.

So here's to tomorrow night's game one with the Rays and Phillies. I hope Brett Myers writes a message to his mom on his batting glove or the Rays fans figure out which Phillie they will pick on all series and rain boos down on him. Let the fun begin.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

God, they let any crappy writer have a blog these days.

Unknown said...

Way to have an original and unique name for your blog.

The Bill said...

I support you, Mr. Dorman, in all your wisdom, intelligence, handsomely good looks, courtesy, general hygiene, and something else.

I had a score of inappropriate comments to make, but I'll leave them from the public forum. For I am the Queen of England.

Anonymous said...

so, you're telling me the wrestlers line up and shake hands BEFORE the ass ramming begins. what courtesy!

Sully said...

ROBBIE V LOVES IT!

Anonymous said...

Excellent intro to what I believe will be a long and prosperous blog.

-WILS Faithful